October 15, 2010
Indulge in this scrumptious Thanksgiving dessert, Pumpkin Pie. Guaranteed to have even your over-stuffed guests asking for seconds.
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups canned pumpkin, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- 1 piece pre-made pie dough
- Whipped cream, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place 1 piece of pre-made pie dough onto a pie-pan (About 9 inches) and press down along the sides and the bottom.
3. Pinch the edges together to make that traditional desired pie pattern. Next, put the pie shell into the freezer for 1 hour to firm up. Cover the pie shell with aluminum foil. Fill the shell up to the edges with pie weights and then place it in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil/pie weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until the crust begins to color.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer and later add in the pumpkin. Add the sugar, salt, eggs, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger and beat until it’s all built-in.
5. Pour the filling you’ve just mixed into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Allow the pie to cool to room temperature. Serve with some extra whipped cream for bigger smiles.
*Recipe courtesy of foodnetwork.com